looking for diskless advice

Chuck Tuffli chuck_tuffli at agilent.com
Wed Dec 22 17:51:14 PST 2004

Matthew Dillon wrote:
[...]
     Note that you can setup a server to export the ISO release image with
     NFS, and machines diskless-booted with that will operate just as if you
     had booted from CD.   What I would do is cpdup an ISO into a directory
     on your NFS server, set up a DHCP server if you don't already have one,
     and then modify the image so diskless-booted machines come up with a
     working network, sshd, and key so you can access them remotely from the
     server without any manual work on their consoles.  Then automate the
     installation using ssh/scp/scripts from the server.
Using your dhcpd.conf as a guide (thanks btw), I was able to setup a
single machine to PXE boot. Getting from there to customizing the image
for each machine to PXE boot was getting complicated. The above sounds
like a better solution. Thanks to all for the advice!
---chuck