Keyboard: Problems with German Umlauts: ?. ?, ? ...

Jonas Sundström jonas at kirilla.com
Tue Dec 21 10:55:07 PST 2004

Oliver Fromme <olli at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > > The LANG and MM_CHARSET environment
>  > > variables  appear to be essential.
>
> No.
> PS:  As far as MM_CHARSET is concerned -- I've never set
> that variable.  It doesn't seem to be used by any of the
> locale functions.  Maybe it's a proprietary variable of
> some program which doesn't want to use the standard locale
> functions.

Having already posted I found out that MM_CHARSET
was not part of the solution, only LANG.

The FreeBSD Handbook recommends it though.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/using-localization.html

"
18.3.4 Setting Locale
Usually it is sufficient to export the value of the locale name as LANG
in the login shell. This could be done in the user's ~/.login_conf file
or in the startup file of the user's shell (~/.profile, ~/.bashrc, ~/
. cshrc). There is no need to set the locale subsets such as LC_CTYPE,
LC_CTIME. Please refer to language-specific FreeBSD documentation for
more information. You should set the following two environment
variables in your configuration files:

LANG for POSIX® setlocale(3) family functions
MM_CHARSET for applications' MIME character set
"

The way I like it is to have ISO date/time (24:00), Swedish currency,
English as the overall language, and of course still be able to type
Swedish characters. I'll have to find out if LC_CTIME, etc, override or
are overridden by LANG / LC_ALL.

/Jonas Sundström.                www.kirilla.com