Getting LATEST-Stable

Bryan Berch dfbsd at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 15 19:40:49 PST 2004

Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:

On 15.12.2004, at 03:36, Erik P. Skaalerud wrote:

Bryan Berch wrote:

I have been trying to download the LATEST-Stable.iso.gz a couple of
times from a few of the mirriors and with my slow dial-up the
download stops due to the mirriors updating the iso.  Takes me
between 12 to 16 hours to get the file.  I was wondering if this
file is only updated once a day or how often and if only once a day
is there a set time when it occurs so I could time start my
download?  Would like to get a newer iso, but will use my
dfly-1.0A_REL.iso if all else fails on another machine.
Bryan

Hello Bryan. The LATEST-Stable.iso.gz is just a symlink to the latest
ISO. This would explain why your download gets halted, since this
symlink changes every 24 hours to a new image.

after all the file should still exist and get transferred. strange.
but i got a better advice (hah!): use rsync.

a lot mirrors provide rsync access and this means you can get the
images piecemeal. but then, of course, you need to use the complete
path of the iso and not the latest symlink.

cheers
  simon
I haven't used rsync, but will have to look  into it, thanks.

Bryan