Getting tired of 5.3

Weapon of Mass Deduction blacklist at internl.net
Tue Dec 14 12:44:21 PST 2004

I would advise you to wait until the 1.1-release.
Unless you're in a hurry, of course.
I just installed NetBSD 2.0, and it also seems superior to FreeBSD 5.1 -
5.3. The installer is way better, and though it currently runs a GENERIC
kernel it works like a charm. The bootup-process is visibly more complex
(not in the way that it requires input from the user), but way more
solid and faster. And I'm totally unbiassed, that's certain.

So use NetBSD 2.0 if you seek a stable and fast BSD, and switch to the
technically superior DragonFly-BSD when the time is right.
That's my opinion at least, but you wouldn't want to be left
dissatisfied because DragonFly-BSD doesn't live up to your expectations,
do you?

P.S.:
The ports-system of DF is still in its early stage of development, so if
you have requirements on that aspect, you'd be better of with the stable
NetBSD pkgsrc for now. (It is in freeze currently, new major release
this week.)

Guillermo Garcia Rojas wrote:
After a few weeks running on FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE, and having DragonFly on
my test machine; I've seen a world of difference between them. DragonFly
goes faster than my FreeBSD box, even faster than a dragon fly xD,
compiles faster and goes a lot better than FreeBSD 5.3.
It's been a pain in the ass for me, I've been thinking seriously on moving
on to DragonFly; I've read /usr/src/UPDATING and says that I can move to
it from 4.x, which I've done for my test machine, and says that can be
done from a 5.x box. It is painless to do it from my 5.3 box?
I updated to 5.3 from 4.10 and it was hell, all my ports broke because of
/lib/libm.so.2 and the version bumped to libm.so.3, so I installed 5.3
from scratch. I don't want to pass for the same on moving to DragonFly. Is
this going to broke all the ports too if I move to DragonFly?
On the other hand, I have trouble on compiling libgtop2 port on DF, but I
can live without it, and X.org does not recognize the wheel on my mouse (I
use the same XF86Config file in both FreeBSD and DF.
Should I move on now? that's the big question.

Thanks!

--
Greetings,
WMD (tfa . x @ inter . nl . net)