NO_OPENSSL broken...

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Mon Dec 13 13:47:27 PST 2004

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 01:04:54PM -0600, Spearow wrote:
> The old (gnu) dc could be used instead, no? It's easier not to build
> OpenSSL in the first place than to try to rip it out later, no?
> OpenSSL seems much too large a price to pay for dc, no?

dc uses OpenSSL for the arbitrary precision math. That makes a lot more
sense than using a local version like GNU dc does, because the OpenSSL
code is optimized for raw speed [this is used for RSA!].
If you don't want a dynamic libcrypto [which is only 1 MB], you can
link this code in statically, increasing the size from 25 KB to 94 KB.

I'll add a small change to src/usr.bin/Makefile to skip bc/dc for
NO_OPENSSL builds, but IMO a lot of this NO_* stuff should be away.

They are useful for seldomly used code like Kerberos or code you might
want to replace via ports like Perl [to die] or Bind or Sendmail.
But OpenSSL is just a to integral part of the system. For me, NOCRYPT
has outlived it's purpose.

Joerg