DragonFly BSD wiki

Noah Yan noah_yan at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 2 10:40:29 PST 2004

"Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:41AF5341.9070704 at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Sascha Wildner wrote:
>> Noah Yan wrote:
>>
>>> Hopefully I can merge my stuff to the centralized wiki. I am writing the
>>> "Architecture Book" by looking at the one of FreeBSD,, other docs and
>>> source code. Now I am in the chapter of Booting Process of it. But for
>>> me latex is the only comfortable way to do other than MS office and I am
>>> using latex now doing it. I know latex can be easily convert to html.
>>> but what is latex for wiki? is there any way to use latex in wiki?
>>

>> Noah,
>>
>> normal pages are written in text with interspersed markup commands (many
>> of them being HTML commands). This format is described in
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Editing.
>>
>> MediaWiki uses TeX for formatting formulas, though, but that generates
>> images so it's rather undesirable for your Architecture Book project.
>> Anyway, it's described here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Formula.
>>
>> Regarding your Architecture Book: It would be cool to have something like
>> that for DragonFly. Maybe there are LaTeX->HTML converters around. HTML
>> should not be so hard to convert to the Wiki format. If everything fails
>> you could even put up your LaTeX source and anyone who wants could help
>> you with the conversion.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sascha
>
> An ``Architecture Book'' is desirable; however I must agree with Hiten
> when he stated that this kind of documentation should be done in SGML. I'd
> be more than happy for you to find a use for the Wiki as a staging area.
I definitely agree that this type of doc should be in SGML and put in the
source tree. But I still cannot compile the original arch-book in the source
tree. seems jade is not installed in my dragonflybsd installation.
One question for this, do I need to go higher level of the doc dir to
compile them, or just in the arch-book subdir to do that?

> Sascha gave links for information on formatting Wiki pages; I think most
> of them will allow you to actually paste HTML. If you want to go ahead and
> add what you've got, I'll help get them set in MediaWiki format.
I am willing to use Wiki as staging area for it and convert them to the SGML
format in the source tree. I am rather busy these days, and have to add them
after Tuesday.