My freebsd dream

pagux freebsdromeo at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 1 18:02:28 PST 2004

Hello Sirs,

I have a dream....to make worlds best free bsd based desktop system in
the world .....but why do I want that (freebsd does great on servers
. ..and why do we need this ?) ..Bcos billions of people who desktop
system have no real choice ...they are stuck with M$ and further
confused by hundreds of linux variants......they need a INTUITIVE, EASY
to USE ,FRIENDLY

which is also easy to manage centrally in a cooperate environments has
binary compatibilities , SECURE and Virus free . I think freebsd
provides this ......after all MAc OS X is based on it.... i also went to
drawin + gnu drawin site ...failed to find anything interesting (and
confusing license)

I think we should have a elegant graphical install

graphical install ->> can we boot from bootable CD (lik e knoppix) and
then run a install program (which maybe web(from the bootable
cd)/perl-gtk script based GUI software for easy install....this will
allow us to easily install the system with out low level installation

Easy Management(scallable to thousands of system)->p2p based software
distribution system like bittorent or jaxta to pull heavy software
package then use port ystem to finally install

Centrall Administration & policies -> Samba + Openldap + phpLDAPadmin +
policies (???)

Autonomic healing - ???

Stateless BSD (like redhats stateless linux project)

I know my dream is worth while .....one day people will use freeBsd
variant as thier desktop ...which will never crash nor complain

I have a dream .....it called MyBSD (most easy to use , friendly freeBSD
based desktop in the world and administrator’s delight )

Unfortunately freeBsd guys dont think its worth while :-(

Pl give your feedback/ suggestions / hate mails