technical Makefile question

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Mon Dec 27 07:46:48 PST 2004

I thought I would attempt to make a port override for the new xorg
version, but I don't understand the first error message I found:

including in lib/Xau...
"Makefile", line 917: Missing dependency operator
"Makefile", line 919: Missing dependency operator

The Makefile in question was newly generated by imake:

cleandir::
        $(_NULLCMD_)
        $(_NULLCMD_)
        - at if [ -d unshared ]; then \
                set -x; $(RM) -r unshared; else exit 0; fi
        $(_NULLCMD_)
[the two lines below are 917 and 919]
SharedLibraryTarget($(LIBNAME),$(SOXAUTHREV),$(OBJS) $(EXTRASHAREDOBJS),.,.)

InstallSharedLibrary($(LIBNAME),$(SOXAUTHREV),$(SHLIBDIR))

all:: lib$(LIBNAME).a

So, can anyone give me a little context to go on, and maybe some idea
of how imake came up with a bad Makefile?

(This is on my gcc34 machine, BTW.)  Thanks!