[DragonFlyBSD - Submit #2883] Allocate DMA buffers in first 4GB

bugtracker-admin at leaf.dragonflybsd.org bugtracker-admin at leaf.dragonflybsd.org
Sun Jan 17 08:46:16 PST 2016

Issue #2883 has been updated by xenu.

Thank you for your reply, now it's a lot more clear to me! Still, it looks like its obfuscated and definitely could use more comments in code :)

So the driver itself should request 32 bit memory, and kmalloc() thing is an optimization. Got it. But I still don't fully understand the purpose of two-tries-of-kmalloc construction. It looks dodgy at best, without comments I can only assume that it  either has certain, unclear assumptions on undocumented kmalloc() behavior or it just tries to get lucky twice. I can be wrong, but it just doesn't look like a very good design.

Also, I still think it's simpler to forbid allocating above 32-bits when there is no IOMMU support (just like in OpenBSD), but that's not something I'm going to argue about, as there are good reasons to not like this idea :)

I'll find offending driver when I'll have chance to boot dfly again.

Submit #2883: Allocate DMA buffers in first 4GB
http://bugs.dragonflybsd.org/issues/2883#change-12827