[issue1983] Moving pkg_radd, pkg_search config to different location

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Tue Feb 8 20:33:02 PST 2011

On Tue, February 8, 2011 6:06 am, Thomas Nikolajsen \(via DragonFly issue
tracker\) wrote:

> Thomas Nikolajsen <thomas.nikolajsen at mail.dk> added the comment:
>
> /usr/pkg/etc/mk.conf isn't a good file location,
> as other pkgsrc install directory (LOCALBASE) can be used,
> also 'etc' directory for pkgsrc can be set separately (PKG_SYSCONFBASE),
> see link below.
>
> If pkgsrc directory is used location must be determined;
> I'm not sure how this is done;
> see also mail archive thread on this very same topic:
> http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/kernel/2008-01/msg00014.html
>
> You could also just stick to using file location in /etc ;-)

Then instead of using /usr/pkg/etc/mk.conf, we use $PKG_SYSCONFDIR/mk.conf
in there, with $PKG_SYSCONFDIR being set to /usr/pkg/etc by default.

If a person is using a different location for their pkgsrc install,
they're probably setting those different variables already just to be able
to reach the files.

The scenario where this would affect a person with a pkgsrc install in a
different location is this: they'd have to :
- install to a different location than /usr/pkg
- not set anything to accomodate this; LOCALBASE, path, etc
- not have set BINPKG_SITES in their environment
- be using pkg_radd or pkg_search
- ignored documentation in the man page that says "$PKG_SYSCONFDIR,
defaulting to /usr/pkg"
- want to use a different download location than the default
- have entered location in /different/location/for/etc/mk.conf

Pkgsrc installs are supposed (generally) to stay within the installed
$prefix.  We're duplicating a basic pkgsrc variable outside of the pkgsrc
$prefix.  These changes correct for that - I don't want to ever have to
say to somebody, "Oh, you changed the wrong BINPKG_SITES setting."