Suggestion: Removal of BIND from base / Import alternative DNS Library ldns / import dig replacement drill

Jan Lentfer Jan.Lentfer at web.de
Tue Mar 9 21:13:55 PST 2010

Matthew Dillon schrieb:
    I'm not sure about binary compatibility if the resolver is moved
    out of libc (if I read that right) and into libldns.  Or were you
    intending on leaving the resolver in libc?  I'm a little confused.
This is not part of this patch-set. I moved BINDs resolver into
libc/resolv, libc/nameser etc. So libc is basically unchanged.

Moving resolver to libldns is an idea that needs a lot deeper investigation.

    I fully agree with separating the resolver calls out from the BIND
    contrib and putting them into libc natively, then disconnecting
    BIND from the build and e.g. using pkgsrc to get its functionality.
That is exactly what this patchset does.

Jan