LAST CALL FOR TEST: Re: Suggestion: Removal of BIND from base / Import alternative DNS Library ldns / import dig replacement drill

Mathieu Launay mathieu at breatheless.net
Fri Apr 9 00:22:43 PDT 2010

Hello all,

On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 at 06:16 +0200, Jan Lentfer wrote :
> > I have lately been busy working on ripping BIND out from contrib and
> > base. I entirely remove BIND from contrib/ and moved the necessary files
> > for libresolv into lib/libc so libc still builds and works.

As said on IRC, I would be very pleased if you could keep a recursive
DNS server either in base or added to the distribution from pkgsrc, to
have a setup which is not dependant from an external DNS server.

I see the typical case like this:
- install DragonFly
- setup the network interface(s)
- setup the default route
- echo "${dns-server}_enable=YES" >> /etc/rc.conf
- start it

then you have full internet connectivity without relying on DNS provided
by your ISP (or corp etc.).

For this matter, I propose to use Unbound[1] from NLNet Labs, a choice
which is coherent with the use of ldns, and follows the "one tool for
one use" rule (it is a recursive and caching DNS resolver only).

[1] http://www.unbound.net/
--
/~\ The ASCII                     Mathieu Launay
\ / Ribbon Campaign          <mathieu at breatheless.net>