patch: update iwi(4)

Johannes Hofmann johannes.hofmann at gmx.de
Thu Apr 15 14:54:48 PDT 2010

Matthew Dillon <dillon at apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
> ::* The alloc_unr()/free_unr() stuff is just commented out. Are there
> ::  any plans to bring in this API from FreeBSD?
> ::
> :
> :    That doesn't look optional.  Sigh. I suppose you could port subr_unit.c
> :    but as is typical in FreeBSDland they have completely overengineered
> :    the API.  It would be a whole lot easier if they had just used the
> :    subr_blist.c code for that.
>
>    Rui also mentioned that AlexH thought the clone_bitmap code would
>    work just fine too.

Thanks for the feedback!
I've cleaned up the patch so that

* sysctl nodes are removed on detach.

* The new firmware infrastructure from FreeBSD is used.
  This also needs a small bugfix in subr_firmware.c to avoid a panic
  (see my mail on @bugs).
  Note, that you now need to build and load a firmware kernel module
  for iwi to work.
  I'm uncertain how this should be automated. I think there might be
  licensing issues if we would ship the Intel firmware.

* devfs_clone_bitmap_*() functions are used for unique number
  allocation.

The new patch can be found at:
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~hofmann/iwi_update2.diff