make nrelease: get rid of cvsup; we no longer depend on it

YONETANI Tomokazu qhwt+dfly at les.ath.cx
Fri Sep 25 18:01:58 PDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 08:43:46PM +0200, Sascha Wildner wrote:
> YONETANI Tomokazu schrieb:
> >Even if we rip the cvsup package from our LiveCD, it doesn't mean
> >users are no longer able to download cvsup-bootstrap-YYYYMMDD.tgz from
> >DragonFly website, right?  I can't think of a situation where you can
> >checkout the source trees or retrieve the CVS repositories BUT not
> >the cvsup binary.
>
> Yes of course they still are...

Actually at the time I posted the first message, we didn't have git snapshot
of pkgsrc tree, so one might have wanted cvsup or csup to retrieve/update
pkgsrc tree.  For people who don't want to keep growing git repository on
their disk drive, cvsup or csup might be still handy.

> I would have never imagined that there could be so much contention
> about a harmless 850k program. :)

For that matter, pkgsrc/net/csup, which is 250K in size, is more harmless
in that it won't install files in an odd location now that we're accustomed
to use pkgsrc (I forgot removing the part populating /usr/local in the
previous patch, BTW), yet it does almost the same job as cvsup program
(last time I checked, the expansion of some less popular keywords, $Log for
one, didn't work correctly).

I can redo the patch to replace it with net/csup or to add WITHOUT_CVSUP
knob.