ACPI update

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Oct 26 11:05:33 PDT 2009

: I am working on updating ACPI to modern state and ACPI interrupt
: routing. You can get the current code here [1]. It's going not bad but
: I have some questions which I need answers for before moving on.
:
: 1) Locking. I have no idea which one should be used. There're 2
: families of locking macros: ACPI_SERIAL_* and ACPI_LOCK_*
: (see sys/dev/acpica5/acpivar.h). FreeBSD uses mtx_* for ACPI_LOCK
: and sx_* for ACPI_SERIAL.

    Either a lockmgr lock or our new mtx* lock (which are blockable locks
    like lockmgr locks) for both.  Our mtx lock API is different from
    FreeBSD's (not meant to be API compatible).

: 2) APIC. Current APIC code doesn't allow setting interrupts from other
: subsystems and changing interrupts after boot, but this is required for
: BUS_CONFIG_INTR to work.

    Could you expand on this a bit?  We set aside a fixed number of vectors
    but that's the only real limitation that I can think of.

					<dillon at backplane.com>