[issue1589] ACPI update

Thomas E. Spanjaard tgen at netphreax.net
Thu Nov 12 04:30:34 PST 2009

Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :Alexander Polakov <polachok at gmail.com> added the comment:
> :
> :Can you please try this diff [1] ? I don't have hardware with both SMP and =
> :EC.
> :
> :[1] http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~polachok/acpi-ec-lock.diff
>
>     How can I tell if I have this feature?  What is acpi-ec?

That is an ACPI Embedded Controller, a microcontroller device which
manages a system and offers an interface via ACPI to query its status
and execute commands. Examples are setting brightness levels on an LCD
screen if the graphics controller doesn't allow you to set it, advanced
queries regarding the state of a battery in a laptop, acceleration
sensors, the ThinkLight in IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad laptops, etc. Most
(modern) laptops have one, and if you see acpi_ec attach in dmesg you
probably do as well.

Cheers,
--
	Thomas E. Spanjaard