[issue1616] hotplug notification

Alex Hornung (via DragonFly issue tracker) sinknull at leaf.dragonflybsd.org
Wed Dec 2 23:10:25 PST 2009

Alex Hornung <ahornung at gmail.com> added the comment:

The alias issue looks good now.

I've noticed something else though: in the path from devfs_unlinkp or any
other for that matter, you call hotplug_devfs_* and from there
hotplug_put_event, which in turn acquires a lockmgr lock, meaning it can go to
sleep. I don't think this is a good idea, as all devfs functions you are
hooking hold the devfs_lock. You could put a process to sleep that is holding
a different lock.

I'm not sure how much of an issue this can be or how to best approach it. For
notifications as these, lwkt messages come to my mind, but there might be
another solution, or it might not even be that bad.

If anyone else can provide some insight on how to approach this, it would be
good.

Cheers,
Alex Hornung

DragonFly issue tracker <bugs at lists.dragonflybsd.org>