dhcp from OpenBSD

VOROSKOI Andras voroskoi at gmail.com
Sun May 25 04:49:12 PDT 2008

Hi,

I have continued Matthias' work
(http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/submit/2008-03/msg00025.html)
on porting dhclient, dhcrelay and dhcpd. They build now, but i've only
tested dhclient.

http://gitorious.org/projects/dfly-dhcp

I'm aware of Chris' problem with it
(http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/submit/2008-03/msg00029.html)
and I am willing to fix it later.

But here comes my problem: Do we really want dhcrelay and dhcpd in the src tree?
Well, dhclient is necessary for sure, but you can install dhcpd and
dhcrelay from the pkgsrc tree. Having those in out tree just makes the
tree bigger. Also pkgsrc reacts faster when security related issues
comes up and the user base is also bigger.
So if I should run a dhcpd server for some reason i would use the one in pkgsrc.

On the other hand dhcpd and dhcrealy from OpenBSD has nice privilege
separation which can be useful.

So, please let me know if you are interested in this work at all. I do
not want to go further if you agree with the removal.

Have a nice day!