etc/Makefile cleanup

Sascha Wildner saw at online.de
Fri Jan 11 12:59:53 PST 2008

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    * Add logic to make upgrade to check for the existance of and the
      contents of {DESTDIR}/etc/.release.  This allows make upgrade to know
      definitively what version of the DragonFly world was last installed.
      If it's too old, make upgrade can bail out with an error message.
Hmm, what exactly would be "too old"? I guess one should always be able
to upgrade to a new DragonFly release from the previous one. But should
this hold true too for the last two releases, or three? My experience
with upgrading old systems to the latest release or HEAD is rather limited..

Another question is if 'make upgrade' should only remove leftover files
from the previous RELEASE or if it should also remove files which are
added & removed between releases (if the time between addition & removal
is reasonably long, say, a few months), thus creating additional benefit
for people who track DEVELOPMENT and upgrade regularly. I think most of
the files fall into the former category, while few fall into the latter.

My feeling is that we shouldn't require every file that crops up and is
removed again to be added, but if someone cares, we should also not
forbid it. It's only a few files anyways.

Sascha

--
http://yoyodyne.ath.cx