Rework carp ipv4 support

Sepherosa Ziehau sepherosa at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 19:54:51 PST 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 11:30 PM, Sepherosa Ziehau <sepherosa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> carp(4) ipv4 users please test following patch:
> http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~sephe/carp_ipv4.diff
>
> Configure inet address to carp(4) interface is no longer supported;
> you need to use "vhinet address" instead.  carp(4) now needs explicit
> bringing up (originally inet address will implicitly bringing up the
> interface).  e.g.
> ifconfig carp0 create
> ifconfig carp0 vhid 1 pass your_password vhinet your_virtual_add1
> vhinet your_virtual_addr2
> ifconfig carp0 up
>
> Virtual address support CIDR form.  The subnetmask part is not used
> currently.  However, it is recommended to set it according to your
> needs, in case it is used in the future updating.
>
> You will need a quickworld (for ifconfig(8)) and quickkernel

The host backup does not work using completely splitted address space :P.
I have redone the above patch.  Both host and router backup should work now:
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~sephe/carp_ipv4.diff1

The address assignment to carp interface is as before the first patch, i.e.
ifconfig carp0 inet carp_address
or
ifconfig carp0 alias carp_address

A new command is added:
ifconfig carp0 vhaddr
This will dump the carp address, its backing address and the its internal flags.

Best Regards,
sephe

--
Live Free or Die