Announcing ethernet link state changes via route socket

Hasso Tepper hasso at estpak.ee
Sat Mar 17 11:39:36 PDT 2007

Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     It won't build straight out of the box since a number of other
>     drivers are still using the existing if_link_state_change() function
>     call.  I kinda prefer the if_link_state_change(ifp, state) API
>     rather then the ifp->if_link_state = ...; if_link_state_change(ifp)
>     API.

It builds for me, there is no existing if_link_state_change(ifp, state) call
in DragonFly. FreeBSD has it, but all cases in DragonFly are either
commented out in DragonFly or #defined to void(0). I don't agree with
FreeBSD though. It's not only about link up/down, but also about interface
speed changes. With my patch this case is handled as well (as it is in
OpenBSD and NetBSD).

>     I agree with the work, though... I'd like to see this in DragonFly
>     once it gets cleaned up a bit.
>
>     There seem to be a few other changes mixed into your patch.  What's
>     the baudrate part of the patch?  (I like it, I'm just not sure how
>     its related to the linkstate work).

This is about the case to call if_link_state_change(ifp) if interface speed
(baudrate) changes.

regards,

--
Hasso Tepper