Announcing ethernet link state changes via route socket

Vlad GALU dudu at dudu.ro
Fri Mar 16 02:29:27 PDT 2007

On 3/16/07, Sepherosa Ziehau <sepherosa at gmail.com> wrote:
On 3/16/07, Vlad GALU <dudu at dudu.ro> wrote:
> On 3/16/07, Hasso Tepper <hasso at estpak.ee> wrote:
> > Announcing link state changes to the userspace via route socket is critical
> > to get routing related applications to work correctly - routing protocols
> > are most important, but other applications might benefit from it as well.
> >
> > This code is adapted from OpenBSD and is only the first basic step in path
> > to get correct support. Only em(4) is tested because I don't have hardware
> > to test others, although bge(4) might get my attention as well in the
> > future.
> >
> > There is one fundamental problem I'd like to get feedback about from
> > developers - how to make various kernel stuff react on link state changes?
>
>    There's been an IRC conversation recently regarding that. FreeBSD
> defines a EVFILT_NETDEV filter, which can have one of the following
> event bits set: NOTE_LINKUP, NOTE_LINKDOWN, NOTE_LINKINV. It's a quite
> clean interface. I don't know why OpenBSD chose to do it diferently.
I think hasso's patch is fundamental parts for the knote
implementation you mentioned above.
  Yes, I only read the patch after I finished writing my first mail :/

Best Regards,
sephe
--
Live Free or Die

--
If it's there, and you can see it, it's real.
If it's not there, and you can see it, it's virtual.