ACPI-CA update patch for review

YONETANI Tomokazu qhwt+dfly at les.ath.cx
Thu Nov 30 23:06:02 PST 2006

Oh, I forgot asking wheather ctrl+alt+esc works when it's stuck.  If it
works, type in "trace" command, and let me know the list of function names
(you don't need the parameter list yet).

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 09:54:11PM +0100, Victor Balada Diaz wrote:
> set debug.acpi.disabled="ec" on loader prompt doesn't help.
>
> > If above doesn't work, I'd like you to build acpi driver with debugging
> > support and activate it to see where it's hung.
> >   $ cd /sys/dev/acpica5
> >   $ export MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=$HOME/obj ACPI_DEBUG=yes ACPI_DEBUG_LOCKS=yes
> >   $ make cleandir; make cleandir
> >   $ make obj && make depend && make
> >   $ su
> >   # make install && reboot
> > to activate the feature, you need to set two kernel environment variables
> >   debug.acpi.layer="ACPI_ALL_DRIVERS"
> >   debug.acpi.level="ACPI_LV_VERBOSE"
> > in the boot loader prompt.  You may want to adjust the layer and the level
> > to trim down the number of debugging output (see acpi(4) for detail).
>
> This laptop doesn't have serial port and hangs before probing syscons,
> so i can't see all the messages it gives.

No, the last few to several lines of the console message are probably
enough to determine where it's stuck.

> I copied by hand the ones i can see from boot -v with the options
> you suggested:
[dmesg output]

I'm afraid ACPI_LV_VERBOSE in debug.acpi.level wasn't enough to give us
extra information.  Can you use the following two lines instead of the
ones I wrote in the previous message?
  debug.acpi.layer="ACPI_TABLES ACPI_EVENTS ACPI_NAMESPACE"
  debug.acpi.level="ACPI_LV_FUNCTIONS ACPI_LV_INFO"

Judging from the dmesg output above and the one from older module, I think
it's in the middle of AcpiInitializeTables(); or one of calls to
AcpiInstallAddressSpaceHandler().  The "acpi_bus_number:" messages are
displayed during the third call to it.

Thanks.