1.2 to 1.4 changes to UPDATING file

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Jan 3 12:06:49 PST 2006

:I was going to put this into the 1.4 version of the src/UPDATING file -
:any objections?

    Sounds good, go ahead!

:--- UPDATING.orig       2005-03-01 02:55:17.000000000 -0800
:+++ UPDATING    2006-01-02 18:29:27.000000000 -0800
:@@ -10,6 +10,26 @@
:...
:+
:+There are 3 extra steps necessary to upgrade from 1.2 to 1.4.
:+
:+- If you have a customized kernel configuration file, it will need
:+this line:
:+
:+options         COMPAT_DF12

    buildkernel warns if this isn't present, fortunately.

:+- The default PAM configuration has moved from /etc/pam.conf to /etc/pam.d/.
:+Conversion of the existing configuration is performed by commenting out
:+any line in /etc/pam.conf that contains "pam_skey.so" and then
:+running /etc/pam.d/convert.sh.

    Arg.  make upgrade should be adjusted to fix this step.  I
    noticed this just yesterday when I tried a fresh install of X
    on a freshly installed-from-CD machine and couldn't login via
    xdm.

    I will adjust make upgrade to install the pam stuff if it finds
    an empty pam.d directory.

:+- You must reboot the system between the 'make installkernel' and 'make
:installworld' steps of the upgrade; the system needs to have a newer
:kernel
:+running before the new world is installed.

    installworld will refuse to run if the kernel is too old,
    fortunately.