Make ums(4) present the mouse as a sysmouse type device by default

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Fri Feb 17 01:22:41 PST 2006

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:
:Indeed, ums provides a MOUSE_SETMODE ioctl for that.
:
:I've just stumbled upon an undocumented switch of moused, -l, which should let
:the user force the level (mode) of the device. It appears neither in the man
:page, nor in usage. Anyway, I couldn't get it to work without problems: in
:level 0, moused displays an error about an unappropriate ioctl(), and in level
:1, the mouse is painfully slow in X.org.
are you sure that you are using the latest Xorg version from pkgsrc?
There recently was a fix concerning moused.

:I'm a little bit lost with all that: I can't get moused to work correctly with
:my mouse, and I have to modify ums(4) to use the right mode by default.
:I guess I'll try to write a little oneliner to set it using ioctl(), which will
:be loaded at startup...
moused works perfectly with my 3 button/wheel usb mouse here.  what does

	moused -d -f -p /dev/ums0

output?

    See if that works and if it does and there is no equivalent moused
    option, we can add a new option to moused to do the ioctl.  Or, rather,
    if you make the modification to moused and submit the patch we'll commit
    it.  I'd prefer that over changing the device driver's default mode.
definitely.  but i think moused should already support the best mode
possible.

cheers
  simon