Atheros patch for HEAD

Andrew Atrens atrens at nortel.com
Sat Feb 4 06:16:12 PST 2006

Adrian Michael Nida wrote:
> All,
>
> As I alluded to on users a few days back, I have been tinkering with the
> atheros + WEP patch Andrew Artens did for the 1.2 release.  I've finally

Atrens, hehe. And it's WPA that's new, not WEP. :)

> gotten it to work without panicing (thanks Simon!) on HEAD.

Oh nice!

I recently fixed wi(4) to work with it.

And there's also a couple of small mbuf leaks fixes you'll want. :)  They
have to do with receiving and losing 'I'm saving power, don't drop my
association' packets sent by laptops in power save mode. Simple fixes, missed
converting a couple of the queueing macros that were manipulating the
interface's if_snd queue.

> You can get the diff from:
>
> http://www.labthug.com/DragonFly/802_11-HEAD.2006-02-02.diff
>
> I will post a note to users asking for testers.  However, if any one of
> you guys could look at it and offer input, I would appreciate it.
>
> I know it prevents a few wifi devices from being built, but am not sure
> why (i.e. I was just happy to see it work and haven't looked to see if
> it builds/breaks these devices).  Also, there are three rate "devices"

I've got iwi/ipw built now, and have applied the wi fixes to them, but
have no way to test these. There's still ndis - should be straightforward
though. :)

> for atheros.  The device only needs one to be built, and they don't seem
> to like it if more than one is built.  I don't know an easier way to

Duplicate symbols, to be expected ;)

> configure which one to use other than switching the comment lines in
> GENERIC.

Yah, each rate control module does the same job as the others, hence you
can only use one of them at a time.

> Thanks,

Very Cool!  Congrats!

I've also got changes to allow use of the next-gen hal, mostly because I
just put a Senao EMP-8602 in my laptop (yes, I know, overkill, hehe),
although the driver+hal it's not stable enough for production just yet -
you can read all about it in the FreeBSD-current list.. ;)

Andrew.