dntpd and rc.d

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun May 22 09:32:56 PDT 2005

:
:On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 12:34:58AM +0000, Robert Garrett wrote:
:> Rumko wrote:
:>
:> > since dntpd is supposed to be used instead of ntpd (as far as i know) and
:> > it seems there is no easy way to start it at bootup like ntpd (just
:> > setting ntpd_enable="YES"), i tried making it so that dntpd would star as
:> > easily too. But i'm not sure if it is as simple as it seems, so i would
:> > like a comment on http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~rumko/dntpd ... is this
:> > really it or did i forget to do something else also?
:> This looks complete to me. however one thing, are we ready to make this
:> change? My understanding is that dntpd is still pretty alpha code.
:> If someone can let me know of the status I'll be happy to commit this and
:> yank out ntpd support. That is if they let me know in the next couple of
:> days other wise it will be next month, before I can get to it.
:
:It should not replace it at the moment. Just add a second script and
:e.g. dntpd_enable="YES", that's the easiest thing for now.
:
:Joerg

    I agree.  Personally I've been running dntpd on my test boxes and
    workstation forever now, I think it's stable and ready to be
    incorporated into RCNG.