WIP citrus patch

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Sun Mar 13 09:56:02 PST 2005

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 10:29:07PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     A couple of us have been talking about how to do a major libc bump
>     gracefully.  At the moment I think that since we will be doing major
>     work on several areas of libc that will require the version bump,
>     we should probably rename the current libc source hierarchy libc4 and
>     dup the CVS tree to create a libc5, and then be able to select one or
>     the other for the buildworld (with it defaulting to libc4).  Not both,
>     just one or the other :-) (because the /usr/include files need major
>     work too).   This way a subset of developers who want to track the
>     new work and who know how to deal with libc blowing up the whole
>     system can, and everyone else can stick with libc4.

My problem now is that some of the helper tools needs to change too,
e.g. gencat and mklocale for the citrus code. Combined with the need
to increment the major numbers of (almost) all libs, it gets nasty.

It seems better to do one big chunk of changes after a stable tagging:
- import of the citrus work
- stat changes for 64bit cleaness [we want that anyway with the evergrowing
  disk space]
- linker script + symbol versioning for libc

The last part should make it much easier to continue with the work and still
allow graceful deprication of APIs and so on.

Joerg