chmod 660 on /dev/pass*

Joerg Anslik joerg at anslik.de
Fri Mar 11 11:49:02 PST 2005

Yeah,

>It is. Because pass allows you to do some pretty nasty stuff
>with the SCSI bus. It shouldn't be a problem for you to change
>it on demand :)

Okay, but the same holds true for /dev/nsa* in a way, since I can see
no big difference between "mt -f /dev/nsa0 erase" called by non-root,
but operator-group life forms, and "nasty stuff" via /dev/pass0
accessed by the same life forms.

I do agree playing with /dev/pass*, due to its potential, can lead to
spectacular pyrotechnics in a way, but then, I believe it's the
admin's responsibility not to grant group membership to unauthorized
folx. :-o

On the other hand, we sure could leave the permissions as they are,
forcing me, and god knows who else, to manually adjust the stuff after
each "make upgrade" (like I still have to with /etc/services... :).

To summarize, I *hate* performing the same task over and over again
manually. This is because I'm not a computer.

--j

who | grep -i blonde | talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch;
unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; gasp; mount;
fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep