dfports / pkgsrc

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Thu Jun 2 09:47:56 PDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 07:52:17AM -0700, walt wrote:
> This is a problem that portupgrade solved long ago.  Why does everyone
> want to reinvent that wheel?  Marc Espie has been working on the OpenBSD
> packaging system for years and it still doesn't solve that problem as
> well as portupgrade.  I hope asmodai will have better luck when he
> reinvents his own wheel ;o)

No, portupgrade hacks around it. You could easily build packages from the
currently installed GNOME, run pkg_chk and if that fails revert to what
you have before. There is work under way to build lists of the before
and after the update, so that you can continue the build.

You can use pkgviews BTW, that solves the other set clearly. What Marc
Espie did for OpenBSD is solving a lot of the maintainance problems,
something which I want to put some more intelligence into pkgsrc too.

Speaking about the JDK, the main reason why it is not that actively
maintained is simply the source license and the results thereof.

Joerg