dfports / pkgsrc

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Thu Jun 2 06:07:57 PDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 03:35:22PM -0700, walt wrote:
> Do you follow the "wip" mailing list?  I've posted a few questions about
> the wip/jdk14 package recently and had very little feedback.  This is no
> tragedy, of course, but it makes me think about the large number of very
> talented developers we leave behind when we abandon the FBSD ports system.

*hust* I have the general fealing that pkgsrc works much better for
us than ports ever did. I have a lot of problems solved for me by the
framework, not by crude hacks.

> The pkgsrc project seems to be understaffed, and that is the one major
> flaw which I think will not improve any time soon unless the FreeBSD
> ports people begin to support it also.

You know, with that argument you should use Debian. Man power wise,
pkgsrc and ports together can't compare. That doesn't mean that
maintaing pkgsrc or ports *needs* that much man power.

> On a more practical note:  there was a recent thread here on pkgsrc and
> whether it has a substitute for 'portupgrade'.  Someone suggested that
> 'pkg_chk' does the same thing, but I feel that it most certainly does
> not even come close.

What requirements do you have it doesn't fullfil? Be precise before asking
for something else please :)

Joerg