dfports / pkgsrc

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Wed Jun 1 15:35:22 PDT 2005

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:
Just to let people know, I will not continue to work on dfports, I will
start submitting things to pkgsrc and make that work together with Joerg.
Work for this has been going on in the background for a while now.
Do you follow the "wip" mailing list?  I've posted a few questions about
the wip/jdk14 package recently and had very little feedback.  This is no
tragedy, of course, but it makes me think about the large number of very
talented developers we leave behind when we abandon the FBSD ports system.
The pkgsrc project seems to be understaffed, and that is the one major
flaw which I think will not improve any time soon unless the FreeBSD
ports people begin to support it also.
On a more practical note:  there was a recent thread here on pkgsrc and
whether it has a substitute for 'portupgrade'.  Someone suggested that
'pkg_chk' does the same thing, but I feel that it most certainly does
not even come close.  Can you see modifying portupgrade to use pkgsrc
as its building/installing backend?  I'm not a skilled programmer, but
I don't see any reason it would be impossible, and it would be a major
advantage for the pkgsrc project.