grep --dont-read-devices-or-symlinks

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Fri Jun 17 08:48:26 PDT 2005

On 17.06.2005, at 17:39, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:find attached a patch to grep to only read real files, ignoring
symlinks,
:devices, etc.(-O --only-files). I felt I need this for grepping my
/src/sys
:which also contains some compile/* directories where modules produce
recurs=
:ive
:loops...
    Well, there is at least one issue with this.  I'm not sure the
option is
    general enough.  e.g. perhaps it should not avoid symlinks.  I'd
use
    stat() rather then lstat() at the very least.
the main purpose of this is to avoid symlinked directories, but I
thought going a little bit more general and ignoring anything
non-regular would be better in the end.

    Grep isn't realliy the best utility to search an entire hierarchy.
    I would use a comnation of find with the -exec option to write
    a search script.
For sophisticated stuff yes, but I just wanted a quick hack to "just
grep -Or /sys $foo"

cheers
  simon
Work - Mac      +++  space for low $$$ NOW!1  +++      Campaign     \ /
PGP.sig