jls, jexec support

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Jan 31 09:13:31 PST 2005

:On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 08:56:40AM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:>     Yes, generating a path from a namecache pointer is triival.  Just
:>     recurse up through the parent pointers and pull out the segment names
:>     from the namecache structures encountered, with one or two special cases
:>     when crossing mount points.  So in your patch set you can tell
:>     nlookup_init() to get the path directly from user space and not copy
:>     it anywhere.
:
:OK, sounds good. I'll split vn_fullpath and use that. pr_path can go away.
:I can depend on the namecache entry staying?
:
:Joerg

    If you have a ref on it, not only is it not going anywhere, but the
    parent pointers are also guarenteed to stick around and retain valid
    segment strings, even if the directory tree is removed.  The namecache
    code will mark them invalid in that case, but it keeps the topology
    intact until the last reference goes away so the path generation will
    always work properly.

    In fact, I think I will go and fix 'fstat' right now to extract the
    full path for directories.  It will make fstat more useful :-)