netcat or ttcp in base?

David Rhodus sdrhodus at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 08:26:18 PST 2005

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:01:40 +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger
<joerg at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 10:55:52AM -0500, David Rhodus wrote:
> > When you say netcat, do you mean the 'nc' program that you could also
> > use for connecting to ports, kinda acting like a telnet client ?
>
> Yes. Connecting a local port to a pipe and vice versa. Very handy.
>
> > As for ttcp I don't see a reason that is needs to be in the tree.  Its
> > a trivial compile and is only needed when doing networking testing.
> > Another problem I have is that I've recently have done some testing
> > and question the validity of the results ttcp gives.
>
> The base port redirection stuff is the same for base, the benchmark
> would be a nice addon. The trivial compile argument holds for netcat
> too, but there's no other simple way to do the connection handling
> e.g. in shell scripts.
>
> Joerg

I don't see a pressing reason to add ttcp, for one because its not a
definitive networking benchmark tool.

As for netcat, it makes a fine addition to any system and I don't have
any objections to importing it.  Though it does bring into question
what category do other tools fall into such as 'team'.

--
                                            -David
                                            Steven David Rhodus