sudo in the base system

Oliver Fromme check+ic2acl00rs1sf8gm at fromme.com
Thu Feb 17 07:33:37 PST 2005

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 06:41:44PM +0000, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > There are lots of ports which would be much more useful in
 > > the base system.  For example, I install sysutils/lsof and
 > > devel/strace on almost every machine.  I'd like to vote for
 > > those two to go into the base system.  :-)

Just to make sure:  That was not a serious suggestion.
It's perfectly fine to install the tools from the ports.
(In fact I think that more stuff should be moved out of
the base system into the ports collection.)

 > Use sockstat + fstat insteed of lsof, they are better and don't
 > mess with kernel interna that much [well, they won't for long].

Sockstat + fstat are OK for some things, but lsof has a
lot more functionality.  For example, it can display full
path names for open files (fstat only displays the mount
points), and it can display the file size as well as the
current seek position (fstat only displays the size).
Also, I think that "lsof +L1" is extremely useful to find
processes that have open files which have been rm'ed -- I
can't easily do that with fstat.

 > strace doesn't match ktrace.

Both have their strengths.  Personally I think that the
output from strace is more verbose and more readable; it
tends to "decode" more syscall arguments in a usable way.

YMMV, of course.

(Again:  I'm _not_ seriously voting for putting those tools
into the base system, so there's no need for a bike shed
discussion. ;-)

Best regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Konrad-Celtis-Str. 72, 81369 Munich, Germany

``All that we see or seem is just a dream within a dream.''
(E. A. Poe)