Rework of nrelease

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Dec 7 11:05:17 PST 2005

:joerg at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
:> Hi all,
:> given that the nrelease part for pkgsrc is pretty much completely broken
:> and still depends on FreeBSD ports for the installer, attached is a
:> first stab at a pure pkgsrc nrelease. Requirements are pretty -- pkg_add
:> from pkgsrc, rsync for "make fetch". For many cases something like
:> 	PKGSRC_PKG_PATH = /nrelease
:> 	WITH_INSTALLER=1
:> in make.conf is enough. For cvsup I'll most likely provide a fake
:> package with a statically linked 1.2 binary, the CGI installer will
:> follow in the next days.
:
:looks very good.  This should go in as fast as possible so snapshot
:builds work again.  Thanks for the work!
:
:cheers
:   simon

    Well, I like the idea but there are some issues.

    I don't want to make the nrelease build dependant on a
    binary packages directory sitting on packages.stura.uni-rostock.de.
    Also, the 'check' target and the other convenience targets (to
    fetch and configure pkgsrc and/or fetch required packages) need
    to remain intact.  I don't want programmers to be forced to use
    obscure -D<LABEL> names to build common targets.  The check target
    in particular is very important as it prevents the user from having
    to run through an entire buildworld before being told that something
    is missing.

    Its a good idea but it needs some work.