RealTek 8169S/8110S support.

Sepherosa Ziehau sepherosa at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 21:21:07 PST 2005

On 12/24/05, Gary Allan <dragonfly at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Matthew Dillon wrote:
>  >
>  >    Do a boot -v and report which MII driver is currently attaching
>  >    to the RE ethernet.  It's probably the generic driver (ukphy), in
>  >    which case we will need to port rgephy.c from FreeBSD to DragonFly.
>  >
>  >    FreeBSD: sys/dev/mii/rge*
>  >    DragonFly: sys/dev/netif/mii_layer/rge*
>  >
>  >    There is some fairly minor porting work that needs to be done,
>  >    which you can look at by looking at the cvs log history for some
>  >    of the other MII source modules in DragonFly.
>  >
>  >                                      -Matt
>
> Please find attached my attempt to import support for the RealTek
> 8169S/8110S from FreeBSD. This supports my DLink 528(T) Card. Could
> someone please review/test? The patch is against HEAD. I ran into two

I have merged the missing inclusion of if_rereg.h in into following
updated patch:
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~sephe/rgephy1.diff

If you have time, please test it

> main issues.
>
> DragonFly is missing a mii_phy_update() function so I wrote an
> rge_phy_update() replacement. I'm not sure this is 100% correct.
>
> The card would not auto-negotiate a 1Gbit connection. I increased the
> auto-negotiation interval to 17 seconds from five which solved the

I still use 5 sec as interval value in the updated patch.  It works
fine with my TP-Link 1000M switch.  Pleae let me know if it does not
work for your re(4)

> problem. There was PR report with this problem and solution for re(4)
> and a Cisco switch but I can no longer find the link.
>
> I can see why the cards are $12. I'm slightly disappointed that two of
> these cards back to back only manage ~150Mbit/s but it's an improvement
> over my built-in vr0.

I have those pooool vr(4)s too -_-

> Regards
>
> G.Allan