three kernel patches for review

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Apr 22 12:06:58 PDT 2005

:
:On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:23:31 -0700 (PDT)
:Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:
:>     memtest won't necessarily find the problem(s).  If a memory
:>     problem isn't due to a stuck bit (and most aren't), then it will
:>     depend on a billion factors that no memory testing program can
:>     ever test reliably.  The only solution to bad memory is usually to
:>     replace the stick or replace the computer.  Sometimes you can
:>     de-tune a computer (e.g. slow down the FSB, and a clock to the RAS
:>     and CAS cycles, etc) to fix marginal memory.
:>
:>     Another poster noted that the BIOS might report memory where there
:>     is actually I/O.  This is a reasonable basis for putting in *some*
:>     sort of hack but I don't think that the VM page lists are the
:>     right place for that sort of thing.
:
:OK.  Can I at least add an ASSERT_IN_CRIT_SECTION() to vm_add_new_page()
:for now?  (It had nothing to do with the bad RAM thing, it was just
:something I noticed in the comment...)
:
:-Chris

    That routine is only called during boot and only from a single
    place.  We do not need a critical section assertion there.