PATCH (revised) for gcc34 (for building ports)

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Fri Apr 15 21:51:50 PDT 2005

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    I was kinda hoping to keep gcc3 freebsd-clean.  Is there any way to
    do this in the ports build make files instead of in gcc3?
Well, seems that my patch doesn't work as well as I expected anyway.
I've been getting linker errors while building several different ports.
Smells like a libtool problem, but I'm still not sure.
However!  I tried installing gcc34 from the ports collection which has
now compiled all three of the ports that failed on the system gcc34.
I don't know why one works and the other doesn't, but it seems to
be a very practical way of leaving the system compiler untouched.
If anyone wants to try it you need only one tiny patch for gcc34:
there is one place you need to substitute <sys/types.h> for
<machine/ansi.h> but other than that it Just Works.
Remains to be seen whether the gcc34 port will survive the upcoming
libc upgrade.