ipw driver

Johannes Hofmann Johannes.Hofmann at gmx.de
Mon Sep 20 14:08:12 PDT 2004

Grrr, I just realized, that I can only upload the firmware with ipwcontrol
after I have used my internal wireless card with ndis; otherwise it
locks up the machine (no kernel debugger or anything) :-(

So what _does_ work for me is:

kldload crypto
kldload wlan
kldload ndis
kldload if_ndis
ifconfig ndis0 ... up

ifconfig ndis0 down
kldunload if_ndis
kldunload ndis

kldload if_ipw
ipwcontrol -i ipw0 -f /usr/local/libdata/if_ipw/ipw2100-1.2.fw
ifconfig ipw0 ... up

Anyway, here http://www.ecademix.com/JohannesHofmann/ipw-dragonfly-1.4.tar.gz
are the sources. Instructions on how to start the ipw interface and the
necessary firmware images can be found at
http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/install-freebsd.html

I will experiment a bit with disabling ACPI or using interrupt priorities
instead of the original mutexes as Joerg suggested.

Regards,
Johannes

PS: I am using a Thinkpad T42p with an Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2100 MiniPCI