New Users article

justin at shiningsilence.com justin at shiningsilence.com
Mon Sep 6 19:12:01 PDT 2004

> Is in Your intension to make from this document something like FreeBSD's
> Hanbook?
> If so, I'll be pleasured if I may help You.
>
> To be honest, the document is imho too short now. You (we all) could make
> it larger
> and dealed with many other things for a fresh users.

I do already have the Handbook largely converted:
http://www.forknibbler.com/handbook/

This document - the "new users" one - is intended to be short.  The
absolute most common tasks (from what people seem to read in the Handbook)
are updating and recompiling, followed by third-party software
installation.  That information is in the Handbook, but there's a lot of
other text to wade through just to read that "pkg_add -r package" is a
good idea.

If you'd like to add to the Handbook or contribute other documentation,
please do!  The existing Handbook and framework is in CVS, same as the
source.

I should probably write up a "how to contribute to docs" document, as it's
a bit of a hurdle to anyone not used to the system.