cvs legacy options

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Mon Oct 18 11:24:58 PDT 2004

:Sorry if I added some confusion: NetBSD uses the file CVSROOT/config,
:but therein uses the CVSROOT/options style (tag=).

   Ouch.

:It's true that the best solution would be that all projects would use
:the "official" style, but I don't think this will happen any time soon.
:So we got the choice: try to get the other projects to at least support
:the official way, or, as long as those big repos don't do it the
:official style yet, accept this fact and add a legacy mode.
:
:cheers
:   simon

    I guess you can get me to cave in on this point fairly easily.  But
    could you do me a favor and have CVS generate a warning whenever the
    legacy options are used if the new option is not also present?  Maybe
    something like:

    Warning: legacy option 'tag=' or 'tagexpand=' used in CVSROOT/options
    (FreeBSD style) or CVSROOT/config (NetBSD style) without the CVS official
    LocalKeyword/KeywordExpand options also present.

    (DragonFly's CVS has both sets to be compatible with people accessing it
    from FreeBSD, so we only want to warn if the compatibility set exists
    and the official set does not).