[patch] to fix kernel version counter

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Nov 5 08:46:53 PST 2004

:>     we actually don't want to increment the kernel version every time
:>     quickworld is run.  If any sources are modified it will increment the
:>     version but if nothing has changed it probably shouldn't.
:>
:>     So I think the quickkernel target is fine.
:
:I'm confused about the reasons to pick one target over the other:  under
:what conditions is it *not* appropriate to use the quickkernel target?

    The quickkernel target will almost always work.  The quickkernel target is
    roughly equivalent to FreeBSD's buildkernel target in that it does not
    destroy the existing kernel build files.  Certainly a change in compiler
    options or debugging or other Makefile related things would probably
    warrent running the buildkernel target instead of quickkernel.

    Also, sometimes one just wants to start with a clean slate.  I wanted
    to make our targets operate in a straightforward and obvious manner,
    so our buildkernel target works like our buildworld target in that it
    completely wipes the object tree, and our quickkernel target works like
    our quickworld target by attempting to use the existing object tree.