[patch] to fix kernel version counter

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Nov 5 01:33:49 PST 2004

    Well, I was about to put in, then I thought about it a bit and I think
    we actually don't want to increment the kernel version every time
    quickworld is run.  If any sources are modified it will increment the
    version but if nothing has changed it probably shouldn't.

    So I think the quickkernel target is fine.

    I think what we do want to do is to make the 'buildkernel' target not
    wipe away the 'version' file that holds the version number.  I will
    commit a change that does that, plus I'll also commit Michal's cleanup.

:I think I understand it now:  doing a full buildkernel deletes the
:/usr/obj/ tree where 'version' is stored and so it is reset to 0.
:
:OTOH, the quickkernel target does not run newvers.sh, so the
:counter is not incremented.  Does this sound correct?
:...
:This allows the 'version' number of the kernel to increment with
:each 'make quickkernel' :
:
:--- src/Makefile.inc1.old       2004-11-03 09:31:00.000000000 -0800
:+++ src/Makefile.inc1   2004-11-03 09:51:08.000000000 -0800
:@@ -643,6 +643,7 @@
:                        ${KERNCONFDIR}/${_kernel}
: .endif
:        cd ${KRNLOBJDIR}/${_kernel}; \
:+           rm -f vers.*; \
:            ${KMAKEENV} ${MAKE} KERNEL=${INSTKERNNAME} all
: .else
: .if !defined(NO_KERNELCONFIG)