ld patch

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Fri Mar 26 09:46:14 PST 2004

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 08:57:28AM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :Slightly modified version attached, give it some testing.
> :
> :Joerg
>
>     I think I got lost somewhere.  I'm a little confused over what issue
>     is being fixed here, could you explain it in a little more detail?
>
> 						-Matt

You have a library like libGL linked against libstdc++ and want to link
against it. Using binutils 2.12, ld find libGL, the dependency and searches
/var/run/ld-elf.so.hints for libstdc++. Using binutils 2.14, ld doesn't do
that and complains. That can/does break builds e.g. of XFree86 with gcc3.

The proper solution would be to remove ldconfig and go with rpath for all
libs, but that's not possible with the FreeBSD ports tree and therefore
is delayed until we have our own build system in place.

Joerg