tiny improvement to config(8)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Mar 7 19:14:16 PST 2004

:>     How about if we were to simply remove the 'Don't forget to do ...'
:>     stuff entirely?  So many things already break when one tries to do
:>     manual config/builds that most people are (should be) using
:> 						-Matt
:
:Personally I'm all for that.  I guess I was thinking too much about
:backwards compatibility and not enough about bootstrapping.
:
:This does raise the question of how far you are willing to let backwards
:compatibility go - if it's "all the way" (on the theory that anyone who
:has written a script that expects a certain output from config wouldn't
:typically expect that script to be easily ported to a new OS anyway),
:there are quite a few other aspects of config that could be cleaned up.
:Especially the way it reports errors (sometimes to stdout, sometimes to
:stderr, sometimes with err, sometimes just with printf.)  I'd be happy
:to take this on :)
:
:-Chris

    This doesn't really have anything to do with backwards compatibility.
    In fact, just removing the warning is more backwards compatible then
    adding a -q option that older config binaries don't support.

    I'll remove the warning.