[repost] Patch to make cpdup's stdout unbuffered

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Tue Jun 8 14:34:32 PDT 2004

On 08.06.2004, at 23:02, Chris Pressey wrote:

The installer popen()'s "cpdup -vvv src dest" and it reads from this
pipe to monitor cpdup's progress.  Unfortunately, since cpdup's output
is fully buffered, cpdup's progress can't be usefully measured this
way.
This patch simply gives us a way to make cpdup's output unbuffered, so
we can get it through the pipe as cpdup generates it.
As I wrote some months ago: this is a thing a lot of programs could use
(sed, awk, grep etc IIRC)

Now, we could add a flag for every single program to write unbuffered
(linebuffered) output. Or we could do some (non-POSIX?) magic in libc
to get most of this just fixed by doing a env
LIBC_STDOUT_BUFFERING=line $program or whatever...

opinions about this?

cheers
  simon
--