ANSI-fy of ranlib, ruptime and rdist [patches]

David Cuthbert dacut at kanga.org
Mon Jul 26 10:04:32 PDT 2004

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 05:42:38AM +0200, Douwe Kiela wrote:
* In some cases I find that *rintf() function calls are preceeded by a
(void) cast, e.g. (void) printf("blah");
Remove them. I'm not really sure why there have been introduced in first
place, but this is IMO anachronistic.
Various lint checkers complain when return values are ignored.  This is
a useful feature for system calls (e.g., not checking to see if stat()
succeeded).  For *printf(), though, it's generally a nuisance.

I'm not sure what the state is of various linters, but I belive that
Gimpel's FlexeLint has options for turning this off on a per-function basis.