Packaging system suggestion (pkgsrc.org propaganda)

Michal Pasternak michal at pasternak.w.lub.pl
Sun Jan 11 08:28:07 PST 2004

Joerg Sonnenberger [Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 12:39:45PM +0100]:
> The question is not wether it is bad, but wether it is good enough.
> IMO there are three features from the OpenBSD ports which are highly
> useful:
> - the fake installation I mentioned already

If you redefine PREFIX, 99% of apps will install in the place you want.
I don't know how does FAKE OpenBSD Ports installation work.

> - the subpackages and pseudo-packages which are esp. useful to handle
>   large software packages like XFree86 and dynamically loadable plug-ins.

You already have "meta" category, for packages, which don't provide
anything. This functionality is already implemented, unless you meant
something else. I don't understand also the "dynamically loadable plugins"
part -- how do such packages would differ from ordinary ones?